Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Eric Stoltz talks about Marty McFly, 'Back to the Future'

By Monika Bartyzel - Moviefone  October 2010


A week ago, we finally got the opportunity to see some footage of Eric Stoltz as Marty McFly in 'Back to the Future.' You know the story, right? Michael J. Fox wasn't the original Marty; it was Stoltz. In fact, Eric had actually done weeks of shooting before the higher-ups came to the painful decision that he wasn't right for the role. Stoltz's work was scuttled, Michael J. Fox took over, everything was reshot and the time-travel movie became one of the most beloved classics of the 1980s.

Having finally seen some of Stoltz's footage, the masses are once again wondering what the redheaded actor thinks about the experience -- which you can check out for yourself after the jump.

Moviehole offers up some of Stoltz's thoughts on his work in 'Back to the Future,' but they're not actually recent comments. The interview is from back in 2007, and when asked about whether missing out on the film was a sore spot, the actor demurred, saying:

"You know, it was twenty-something years ago and I rarely look back, if at all; but in retrospect, I think just getting through that difficult period helped me realize how freeing it really was. I went back to acting school, I moved to Europe, I did some plays in New York and I actually invested in [pause] myself in a way that was much healthier for me. If I had become a massive star, I don't know if I wouldn't have gone into therapy. On the other hand, I would've been exceedingly rich which would've been wonderful!"

It's hard not to agree with him. If 'BTTF' had been a success with Stoltz, would his career have been the same? There's little chance he'd have been romancing Lea Thompson for 'Some Kind of Wonderful' if we were already associated her with being his mom. Would Stoltz have been too successful to take on great indie fare like 'Killing Zoe,' 'Pulp Fiction,' 'Kicking & Screaming' or 'Rules of Attraction'? Seems likely.

Back 2007, he hadn't gotten the chance to see any footage of his performance, but was "curious to see it." We don't know if Stoltz has seen this little nugget of footage yet, but with the actor currently working on 'Caprica,' and 'BTTF' fervor increasing as we nudge closer to the Blu-ray release, we're sure to hear more from Stoltz about playing good ol' Marty McFly.

No comments:

Post a Comment